Saturday, September 27, 2008

Wacky Cake

This is an awesome chocolate cake recipe that I randomly found in a cook book (Company's Coming - Cakes). I made it, and when my husband took a bite, he got all excited saying that this was a cake his mother made for them when they were kids. He requests it now on a regular basis. I also made cupcakes with this recipe for a baby shower a little while back that was a big hit.

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Measure dry ingredients into mixing bowl and stir. Make a well in the center. Add remaining ingredients into well and mix until smooth. Pour into greased* 9x13 pan and bake for 35-40 minutes (or 30 cupcakes for 30 minutes)

*be careful greasing pans, most cooking sprays contain soy so I use one of the spray cans that you add your own oil to and pump.

I either sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top or use the No-Buttercream Here Frosting recipe also posted on this blog.