Saturday, September 6, 2008

Mayonnaise




Cains All Natural Mayonnaise Rich in Omega-3 is a canola oil based mayonnaise that is great on sandwiches as well in cooking and baking. There are other canola oil based mayonnaises out there - but please be careful and read the labels carefully - as many of them contain soybean oil as well. The taste is really good - my husband really likes it and I used it in sandwiches for a baby shower last weekend (chicken salad and a turkey mango wrap) and got many compliments so I don't think anyone knew the difference. My only complaint is that I tried to use it in crab cakes and they fell apart in the pan. I used the same amount of mayo as I would normally use, but I think I need to tweak that recipe a little more. The crab cakes still tasted awesome, they just didn't hold together very well. I was also using panko crumbs instead of bread crumbs in the recipe, so I don't want to blame it on the mayo alone.

http://www.cainsfoods.com/News_April2007.html

According to their website, they have come out with a line of natural salad dressings as well. They don't have the ingredients on their website and I haven't seen them in the stores yet, but I'm hoping a couple of them are milk and soy free. Cains products are sold in New England and Upstate New York, but they do sell to other parts of the country by calling their 800 number (according to the FAQs page of their website).

Household rating: 7/10