Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bonnie's Cookies

When I found out I was going to have to go on a milk and soy free diet, I wasn't sure what I was going to do about sweets (as I have a very sweet tooth). I searched through my collection of recipes and found this recipe for cookies I loved growing up. They called for oil instead of butter or margarine and that was when it dawned on me that I could probably modify other recipes to use canola oil as well. We called them Bonnie's cookies because my Aunt Elane always made them for my cousin Bonnie and mailed them to her for her birthday and Christmas every year (and I believe she still does). They are a sugar cookie, but in our family, they will always be referred to as Bonnie's cookies.

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Combine sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients. Shape into 1/2 inch balls. Dip in sugar and flatten lightly with fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes (Do not brown). Makes about 3 dozen cookies.